Monday, October 25, 2010

Hollywood

Good evening... hggguumm hugghhhmm (Eye just cleared my throat (ps - look how i spelt"I")Goodness, I bet you are all ROTFL-ing.

Anyways, back to my story- this week in institute I was thinking about why we suffer. I was trying to think of everything that had to do with suffering- what is it, what causes it, what rhymes with it, how do we get out of it, etc. I asked myself "Ok Matt... what causes emotional suffering" my out-loud response was "disappointment, hurt feelings" For the most part, i have found that my emotional suffering happens when my expectations are not met. This is where i get passionate and say that hollywood/media is to blame for many hurt feelings in a relationship.

1) I'm not a Vampire
It seems that the only successful relationships these days include a vampire and a vulnerable young girl. These relationships don't struggle with normal things such as finances and raising a family, but instead trying not to drink the other persons blood. Like... me and vampires have a TON in common, I love nights, I have super white-pasty skin, and in the right light after eating a large pizza I have some sparkle to my cheeks. Its hard to c
onvince others that my floppy chest and soft stomach is still developing and one day will be as strong and vibrant as my fellow cannibals.

2) Big Bliss
There is a show that Tarilyn watches called "Say Yes to the Dress." It's a show where a picture-perfect bride and all of her friends go and try on different wedding dresses for their upcoming wedding. Basically the bride tries on a bunch of expensive dresses until she, and her friends, find the "dream" dress. All the girls say "yes" to the dress and the end of the show is a bunch of crying women. Trust me it's a real tear jerker... I'm usually crying before the second commercial is even on. Anyways, one day I came home and Tarilyn was watching the show. I noticed something terribly wrong... the brides had an average build and were not 5'7-100lb girls. I couldn't believe that some of the dresses the consultant had pick out were DOUBLE DIGITS! (trust me im being sarcastic) The best part of this show was that it had a special name... it was called "Say yes to the Dress: Big Bliss." It was sick to me that they had to give the show a special name to accommodate the average-person build. There was not a huge difference in the show besides the wide-angle lenses that prob
ably had to be used and the dresses were
more expensive because more material was used.

What I'm trying to get at here is that the media gives us a false sense of what life should be like. Yes, on the weekend I may only take my wife to dinner and/or a movie and not the southern part of france... i just dont have the money. No, I don't have a six pack or strong peck muscles (they're big but not strong.) No, I don't have a french cut suit with a skinny, un-done tie, rather, I have an english cut, baggy suit with triple pleat pants topped with a fat double-winsor tie. (uggggh talk about soo last year.)

Despite what Hollywood may say, I think that I have an awesome life. I have an amazing wife and a perfect baby that I play with so intensely that she pukes... literally.


Peace Out
Matt

2 comments:

  1. Oh Matt, I'm sure you've heard it a million times that you look like Edward. So, stop being so modest.

    Cute post. Lucky wife. Lucky Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what was just on Matt...thats right, Say yes to the dress, Big Bliss!! Haha, it so true though, you have great points!

    ReplyDelete