Thursday, November 11, 2010

He's not a He. She's a She.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have prayed to have a boy first... I guess this is what I get for that... And, honestly, I understood the first few times even though she was wearing purple because, hey, newborns are funny looking. But now that she’s 9 months, it’s getting old.


Here’s a few stories of people who insist on calling my daughter my son:


1. A few weeks ago I dressed Charlie in a hot pink shirt and leopard print pants and I made my way to the bank. These boys were sticking their fingers in Charlie’s mouth while their mom was right next to me with the other teller. Instead of telling them to stop, she commented on how cute he was and wanted to know how old he was. Do I look like the kind of mother who would dress her son like that? Apparently so. Anyways, I kindly said that “She is almost 9 months old.” Then she looked at me incredulously and replied, “This is a girl?!”


2. That same day I went to the mall. (Big day for me!) THREE different people commented on how cute HE was. I let it go the time they asked what HIS name was and I replied, “Charlie.” I guess there was no going back there.


3. My Grandma always thinks she’s a boy -no matter what she's wearing or how many times we tell her that she's a she. She also has Alzheimer's.


4. At church the other Sunday, I saw an old friend that I hadn’t seen in years. We got chatting and I was holding Charlie (who was dressed church appropriately in a cute frilly dress). But no, he asked what his name was. People can always see past our girly façade...


5. This week it was Matt that got to experience what I always seem to. They had just mentioned to him that we had a cute son... When he got home that night, Matt told me the sad story. This followed:

Me- We should’ve gotten her ear’s pierced before...then they all would’ve known she was a girl.

Matt- No. They’d just think she was an early-rebellious son.


Dang it.

Headbands are now mandatory.



2 comments:

  1. Woooo! I didn't know you guys had a blog, now I have alot of catch up stalker reading to do. This has been happening alot to me lately with Penny, Almost every place I went this week someone has asked how old he was or ,"He's so cute!" thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hot pink and leapord print? first you must post a picture of her in this because it sounds adorable! second - what kind of things do these people dress their sons in to mistake an outfit like that as a boys?

    ReplyDelete